How to improve your child’s English at home?
Every parent wants their child to speak Fluent English and looking after ways to improve your child’s English at home. It feels essential to building English-speaking skills in the child’s early years of education as it is a global language and the most popular medium to communicate. For studying a language other than the native language, the initial years are crucial as the chances of achieving excellence in the language are high. When children begin to communicate in English from their early years, as they grow up, they appear to develop excellent speaking abilities to be more successful. While the technology around us has made it easier and enough videos are available on the web to learn language skills, spending a substantial amount of time with your child to teach your child language skills is essential. The single most significant factor in the success of a child with English is the interest and support of their parents, no matter their child’s age.
How to improve your child’s English at home?
Children are like clay. They can be molded in whichever way you want. They pick up things quickly and are fast learners. So, encouraging them to learn and improve their English from a young age can be quite beneficial. Therefore, if you want to improve your child’s English at home, we provide you with some great tips and ways on how to effectively improve your child’s English at home. It is not difficult to acquire language skills, but the only trick to grasping them effectively is to practice consistently. For the speaking ability of your infant, daily practice can do wonders.
- Start with yourself as a parent- The best way to improve your child’s English at home is to start with yourself. The key is to develop a positive attitude towards learning and English as a language. Why not join one of them if you send your child to an English class? A perfect way to spend time with your children and build a positive attitude about studying and speaking another language is to learn English together. You will teach your children that ‘having a go’ and making a mistake is better than just speaking when you have the perfect sentence planned by learning English yourself.
- Reading is the key- One of the best ways to improve your child’s English at home is inculcating the habit of reading is one thing you can do. This can only be achieved by purchasing books about your child’s interests. It can be about their favourite fictional character or a basic motivational storybook with fantastic stories and life lessons. Make sure you get him to read newspapers and magazines if your kid wants to be updated with current affairs and news. Sit down with your baby and make time to learn. Reading bedtime stories to your child can also help in developing language skills.
- Encourage your child to communicate in English at home– Children spend much of their time at home, which involves a lot of conversation. You may start instructing them in English with so much time in hand. This will inspire them to respond in the same language. The simple English phrases and the conversation skills acquired at home will help them develop the courage to speak the words in public.
- Watching movies and cartoons in English- With the changing technology, DTH and HD TV have the choices for programs you want to watch to switch languages. Since children enjoy watching cartoons, encouraging them to watch them in English will help to improve your child’s English at home. There are chances that the kids may not initially get comfortable with it, but they will find it fascinating with time. By learning simple English sentences, they can improve their communication skills.
- Consistency is the key- Practicing every day is the best way to learn, so it is best to set a schedule for your child. Fix a fixed time and stick to it. For very young kids, short sessions of about fifteen to twenty minutes are appropriate as they have a short attention span. Bear in mind, too, that short, daily meetings are better than lengthy, rare ones. To keep the child involved, make the sessions enjoyable.
- Introduce the language through songs and music- Music and rhyme help kids use full sentences, intonation, pitch, and rhythm, as well as merely building confidence, in a way that if we tried to teach these language characteristics directly, we can’t achieve. Via music, we can also expose children to somewhat tricky language constructs. As kids start learning more about grammar in their early teens, these songs will come back to them and make them feel more secure about the structures being taught.
- Play in English– It might sound a little weird, but what we mean by playing in English is to do such activities that involve the use of the language. When they are having fun, kids learn naturally. Flashcards are a perfect way to teach and revise vocabulary, and with flashcards, like Memory, Kim’s game, Snap or Happy Families, there are several different games you can play. To help them learn English, you can play several other kinds of games with your kids, like Action games, Board games, Word games, Online games, etc.
- Make them learn from real-life experiences– The benefit of teaching English at home is that you can learn the language naturally and in context by using daily circumstances and actual objects from around the house. For instance, when your child gets ready or sorts the laundry, chat about clothes (‘Let’s put on your blue socks,’ it’s Dad’s T-shirt, etc.). When you help your child clean their bedroom (‘Let’s put your teddy bear on the bed!’, ‘Where is the blue car?’), practice vocabulary for toys and furniture. When you are cooking or going shopping, teach food vocabulary. Give your child a list of things to find when you go to the store by recognizing alphabets and pictures.
- Read stories to children in English- You can buy storybooks for kids anywhere. In shops, libraries, online, and by sharing or swapping with friends, you find them. Usually, the child doesn’t care for the language of the storybook much so why not choose an English storybook? It will help you to improve your child’s English at home. But more important to them is the ritual that goes with reading the book. Your child is paying attention and listening as you read. To further improve the child’s vocabulary, a wise parent should take this opportunity to add some extra new English words. Another perfect way to improve language skills is with storybooks with illustrations. That’s because of lots of visual hints each page comes with. For better comprehension, these storybooks are typically streamlined.
- Reward them- There are chances that your kid will do his best to answer in simple English sentences when you start talking in English. Initially, the child will make and repeat errors. Without making them feel upset, you must correct him. Get them ready to try harder and chat again. Make this a routine, and in the days to come, you will see significant developments.
Kids pick up the language quickly and learn it efficiently. The children gradually record the names in their minds with the repeated hearing of the same words and eventually develop English speaking skills. As they learn their first language, they can also enhance English speaking with coherent practice with the right tips and method.
How can CampXeye help you to improve your child’s English at home?
India’s first digital marketplace, Campxeye, has many courses and products that can help your kids improve their English at home. We have many online courses and products that are fun and engaging to keep the child’s interest. We have one on one personal classes and have different courses for different age groups. We also have an English Learning App is a revolutionary self-learning spoken English app which will make you speak English confidently and quickly. You can head to the link and explore different courses and find the one best suitable for you.